Buster's Drunk Chicken
2001 Georgia Chicken Cooking Championship
Classic Drunk Chicken
Serves 8 normal or 4 hungry persons.
Buster's Drunk Chicken Roost™
Chickens - four (4) 3 1/2 pound whole fresh fryers
Legg's™ BBQ rib rub - one (1) 8oz. pkg.
Budweiser™ beer - four (4) 12oz cans, half full
Olive oil - two (2) tablespoons per chicken
Minced garlic - one (1) tablespoon per beer can
Table sugar - 1/8 cup
Wash beer cans. Wash roost.
Spray roost with food spray - helps with cleanup.
Open beer cans, remove 1/2 contents - leaving 6 ounces or half.
Insert can in roost. Arrange with hole facing handle.
Put tablespoon of minced garlic in beer can. Foam is ok.
Combine sugar with spice. Mix well. Dispense from shaker jar.
Clean chickens thoroughly, inside and out. Remove unwanted parts.
Apply olive oil to chicken. Thin coating all over.
Shake spice onto chicken. Even coating all over.
Place chicken cavity over beer can. Press down firmly.
Chickens should be straight up, facing handle. Cross legs over roost rail.
Cook two (2) hours at 350 degrees, or until done - 180 degrees in breast and thigh.
Use meat thermometer to test doneness. Do not undercook!
When done, leave chickens on roost, put roost on platter.
Carve and serve directly from roost.
For Great Drunk Chicken, try some of these combos:
Legg's™ BBQ rib rub and beer (classic)
Red pepper and beer
Lemon pepper marinade and white wine
2 Alarm Chili™ and beer
Everglades Seasoning™ and soy sauce
Rosemary, sage and apple juice
Mrs. Dash Seasoning™ and beer
Pineapple marinade and beer
Mesquite rub and beer
Pork sausage seasoning and root beer
…plus variations of those shown, and many others based on your personal taste. Experiment!
Tip: Chopped garlic in the beer is a good thing.
Chicken Over a Can in 70 Min
San Deigo & Holy Moly Chicken Over the Can
Best Chicken on the Planet
1 Can Baker oil & flour spray ( Pam with Flour)
1 Whole chicken
4 Teaspoons chicken seasoning
5 Teaspoons lemon pepper
1 Teaspoon crushed pepper
2 Cloves of smoked garlic– diced
2 Tablespoons Cajun Seasoning
1 grape drink soda can per chicken
The San Diego Sauce Optional
1 quart Italian Red Sauce— Marinara
1.5 cups of regular BBQ Sauce—Open Pit
4 tablespoons of seasonal salt
To Taste: Louisiana hot sauce 1 tablespoon
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Equipment – A gas grill capable of 500 deg in the hood.
Smoker device for your Gas Grill that really works put out lots of smoke—Sam’s Smoker Pro!
Chicken over the Can Rack—Buster’s is the Best-
Do 2 to 4 Chickens at a Time and Freeze some for later! You will be Amazed!
Ghosting your Chicken
Spicing the Chicken
- Soak the woodchip mixture for 10 minutes in water.
- Place your wood chips into the Smoker Pro.
- Turn your grill on high
- Place the Smoker Pro into grill on the right side burner.
- In about 5 min your grill will be smoking
- Wait for the smoke to start pouring out. 2-6 min.
- Then turn the right burner down to medium and the left side burner to low hood temp should be approx. 300 F
- Place the garlic on a roasting grilling plate on your grill. Smoke
- the garlic just until it turns light brown
Get the Chicken Over the Can
- Pour out approx. 1/3 of the grape drink from the soda.
- Place the soda can in the chicken rack Dry mix all dry ingredients.
- Place 2 tablespoon of the dry ingredients in the can.
- Place 1 garlic cloves into the soda can.
- Wash the chicken - spray the chicken with the can of baker’s spray oil & flour-I call this Ghosting your Chicken!
- Sprinkle the remaining spices on the chicken all over.
- Place the chicken over the can and set it into the chicken rack
- Place the chicken rack on the grill, on the right side,on the grate over top of the Smoker Pro!